Chronology of the Chapultepec Forest
Chapultepec is a term that in Nahuatl means "place on the hill of grasshoppers." Its origins date back to the classical period.
1325. After the founding of Mexico-Tenochtitlan, the Aztecs adopted Chapultepec as a sacred place and strategic location for their springs that provided water for the great Tenochtitlan.
1428. Nezahualcoyotl, king of Texcoco, built a mansion and enriches the flora and fauna of the forest.
1465. Moctezuma Ilhuicamina built the Tlaxpana aqueduct three kilometers long.
1507. Moctezuma II built tanks for raising exotic fish and storing water, planting trees and plants.
1521. Cuauhtemoc Chapultepec defends the Spanish attack. Shortly after Hernán Cortés appropriates Chapultepec.
1530. Carlos V decreed that the Chapultepec forest owned by the city of Mexico.
1771. Chapultepec aqueduct was built with 904 arches along 3,908 meters, which carry the water to the well known source known as Salto del Agua.
Today Chapultepec Park is the largest urban park in Latin America, recreational and cultural center of conviviality and entertainment, and imposing and next to the silent The Green Park hotel.